The highest political and decision making body is the Nile Council of Ministers (Nile-COM), comprised of Ministers in charge of Water Affairs in the Member States.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Nile-COM
- Approve annual work plan and budget
- Ensure smooth implementation of NBI’s activities
- Ensure government contribution from Member Countries as well as external support agencies and NGOs
- Appoint and terminate the services of the Executive Director on recommendation of the Nile Technical Advisory Committee
- Take all policy and political decisions of the organization
- Approve the filling of other senior posts by the Nile Technical Advisory Committee
Hon. Jumaa H. Aweso,MP.
Minister of Water,Tanzania
Chairperson : 2022-2023
Hon. Prof. Sanctus Niragira
H.E. Madame Eve BAZAIBA MASUDI
H.E. Dr. Hany Atef Swailem
HE Dr. Eng Habtamu Itefa
Minister of Water,Irrigation and Energy, Ethiopia
Hon. Alice Wahome
Hon. Dr. Mujawamariya Jeanne D’Arc.
Minister of Environment
H.E. Dawelbeit Abdelrahiman Mansour.
Hon. Pal Mai Deng
Minister of Water Resources and Irrigation, South Sudan
Hon. Sam Cheptoris
The Nile-COM is supported by the Nile Technical Advisory Committee (Nile-TAC), comprised of 20 senior government officials, two from each of the Member States.
Roles and Responsibilities of the Nile-TAC
- Offer technical support and advice to the Nile Council of Ministers on matters related to the management and development of the Nile waters.
- Act as an interface between the Nile-COM and development partners, and between Nile-COM and the Secretariat, programmes and projects of the NBI.
- Provide oversight for NBI programmatic activities.